Many practitioners, particularly beginners on the path or those still exploring the possibility of beginning, find that private sessions with more experienced practitioners are helpful and of practical benefit. A session might include:
- Meditation instruction and ideas to overcome common obstacles like time, energy, being stuck, etc.
- Discussions of specific practice-related questions, or Buddhist educational areas of interest.
- Questions regarding rituals and how to perform them.
- How to increase one’s involvement with the Sangha and/or reduce feelings of isolation from other practitioners.
- Simply a time to sit and/or do mantra recitation in the company of another.
Is there a fee for this? Lion’s Roar practice leaders offer these sessions on a ‘dana’ basis. Dana is an important Buddhist practice in that it develops the qualities of generosity and letting go. It is not a tip, nor is it an exchange for receiving “services.” It is a way we can express gratitude and practice letting go with awareness. Generally, any dana is turned over to Lion’s Roar.
Which practice leaders should I contact? As you can see from the short biographies, each person brings a different perspective, background, and experience. However, all have been long-time students of Lama Jinpa and also study under Geshe Damchoe, giving a measure of continuity to dharma presentation. You may want to speak with each leader after a Sunday or Monday evening practice to determine which individual would be best for you. It could be that different leaders can help with different issues at different times. You are not committed to seeing only one person and have the opportunity to learn different practice styles from each practice leader.
Contacting practice leaders: Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading like “meeting with a practice leader.” You can request a specific person or just ask that one of the leaders contact you. Of course, you can set up a meeting in person at any time with any one of the practice leaders.
Cancelling an appointment: Please make every effort to keep an appointment and if you must cancel, please give 24 hour advance notice.