Home Forums Lions Roar Dharma Center Forum 22 Similes for the Greatness of Bodhicitta

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have combined Asanga/Maitreya’s similes with Conze’s translation of the Prajnaparamita Sutra in 25,000 lines to enhance my understanding of the similes. Maybe it would interest you, too. A PDF of the synthesis is attached to this post. The details, which also appear in the PDF, are:

In his translation of Universal Vehicle Discourse Literature in a note to “Six verses on similes of its greatness” in Chapter 4 on page 35 of the paper edition, Robert Thurman says, “The same twenty-two similes of cittotpada are found in AA I.20-21, although differently expressed.” [The note is number 16 in the paper edition and number 61 in the Google Books electronic edition]

Edward Conze, on pages 46 – 55 of his translation of the Prajnaparamita Sutra in 25,000 Lines, The Large Sutra on Perfect Wisdom with the Divisions of the Abhisamayalankara, has mapped the Abhisamayalamkara (AA) onto the 25,000 line Sutra according to the divisions presented in Arya Vimuktisena’s commentary.

Here, I’ve taken the text from Conze and slightly simplified the presentation and enhanced it from Sparham’s translation of the AA and Arya Vimuktisena’s VRTTI commentary on the AA (Sp), often paraphrasing Sp for brevity. The text referred to by “Sp” is in Volume I of Abhisamayalamkara with Vrtti and Aloka: First Abhisamaya, translated by Gareth Sparham, Jain Publishing Company, 2006.

The quotations from the Prajnaparamita Sutra in 25,000 lines if from The Large Sutra on the Perfection of Wisdom with the Divisions of the Abhisamayalankara translated by Edward Conze, University of California Press, 1974.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.